Costa Rica’s Sea has almost all kind of wave for surfers. Doesn’t matter is you are a beginner or an expert. Costa Rica offer surf spots for all. That’s why we prepare your complete guide with all you most to know about: The best surf spots in Costa Rica. Continue to read this blog and be an expert before you come to this little country. Let’s surfer up!
Your complete guide
- It doesn’t matter what surfer level you have. There are waves for everyone in the surf spots in Costa Rica.
- With more than a 700 thousand coastlines, you will definitely find the perfect surf spots.
- The weather and water temperature are just two reasons why surf spots in Costa Rica are amazing.
The Best Surfing Spots in Costa Rica for Intermediate Surfers
Playa Avellanas in Hacienda Pinilla has a popular reputation in the surfer world. The beginners have a possibility to start and feel the adrenaline in Avellanas´ beach. This spot offers smooth waves.
But if you are an intermediate surfer, there is El Palo, located in the same beach near to mangroves. The waves in these areas are most challenging and La Purruja it’s perfect from May through November, that it’s a rainier season.
Santa Teresa and Mal País are beaches located on the Nicoya Peninsula. If you haven’t visited this wild and exotic part of Costa Rica, you really don’t know this country. Every year arrive a hundred of surfers to Santa Teresa surf spots in Costa Rica.
Playa Hermosa, also on Santa Teresa, it is a secluded beach perfect for intermediate level. The best moment to surf is mid to high tide. The sunset on your surfboard in Hermosa is gorgeous. Wherever you stay, the positive surfer vibes inside or outside of the sea are addicted, that’s why this surf spot is very popular.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
Playa Langosta It has an area near the river that is known as The River Mouth, in that area the conditions are complicated but at the same time they are perfect to overcome fear and that the adrenaline comes afloat. It is normal that in this area the currents change constantly. Another important factor with which you must be very careful are the rocks.
If you are interested in knowing more about surf spots in Costa Rica and improve your techniques to ride waves, do not think twice and see this opportunity.
What to Expect from Surfing in Costa Rica
You will love knowing that Costa Rica, unlike many countries, including the United States of America, does not have all four seasons: Autumn, Spring, Summer, and Winter. For this simple reason its climate is perfect for surfing practically every day of the year, this is nice, right?
Costa Rica has only two main seasons: Dry and Rainy season.
The dry season extends from December to April. It’s simply perfect for surfing, and it’s the hottest season: yet the year-round water temperature hovers around 80 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit, which is wonderful.
Now, if what you are looking for is a sea with character, consistent and challenging waves, the rainy season awaits you. Currently, it is very common to see rainbows crossing the horizon from one side to the other.
Each beach in Costa Rica has its own charm, however we will try to make a very specific summary of what you can expect from some of the most important surf spots in Costa Rica:
- Tamarindo: The famous surf town. Very popular beach with incredible waves ranging from a sea with short and marked waves with a height of 3.9 in to 1 ft 7.7 in to huge waves that make boats disappear from view. One of the disadvantages of this place is that being so popular is probably that you are always accompanied by a few other surfers.
- Santa Teresa: This is a dream place, for lovers of solo surfing, it is a more rustic and wilder place. It has smaller alignments and Pacific swells throughout the year. In addition, they have very good kick, Rippable up to the T and wave changes.
- Mal País: It is in the south of Santa Teresa, on the Nicoya Peninsula. He has good breaks. These waves are famous for having access to more challenging reef breaks. Consider this surf spots in Costa Rica in your plans!
- Jaco: With beautiful left and right this beach is perfect for all levels, it is a mandatory destination when arriving or saying goodbye to Costa Rica since it is very close to the capital of this beautiful country.
- Pavones: This is a mythical beach located in the Golfo Dulce has swells to the southwest. Among surfers, it is famous for having the best silly waves, its left section runs through three capes at once. The rest is more recommended for the rights, since more dynamism. The most important disadvantage is that being one of the most remote places in Costa Rica, it has little accessibility.
Which of the surf spots in Costa Rica caught your attention?
You may also be interested in this.
Tips for Surfing Safely and Responsibly in Costa Rica
Surfing paradise is in Costa Rica. Is it wise that this small Central American country has around 700 thousand coastlines, it’s crazy! That is why it is important that you consider the following surf tips to keep you safe and out of any danger in your next surf spots in Costa Rica.
Beware of rip tides
According to statistics in Costa Rica, 80% of drownings are caused by rip tides! It’s important to learn how to spot a rip current and what action to take if you’re swept away by one. Ask if the surf spots where you will be been frequent and in which areas originate.
Crocodiles wouldn’t be a pretty surprise
River mouths are places where crocodiles often tend to travel. There are areas with which, this happens more frequently than in others, so it is important that if it is the first time you go to that surf spots you better go with people who know and can guide you to avoid scares with these animals.
The rocks of the seabed
It does not happen on all beaches, however, there are rest points that on the seabed have rocky areas so wearing a wetsuit is not a bad idea. These variables in some seabeds make surf spots in Costa Rica so unique and have characteristics so sought after worldwide.
Beware of the weather
From a radiant sun to a storm or from a gray day to the most beautiful and sunny sunset, this is Costa Rica. The weather is completely unpredictable. It is important that you are always watching for variations to avoid inconveniences deep sea.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
Surf Camps and Lessons in Costa Rica for Intermediate Surfers
Our surf camp and Spanish school is famous for providing great accommodation and amazing surf and Spanish experience, but more than anything Perfect Sunset School staff have one major goal; to enthusiastically share our love and knowledge about Costa Rican culture, Spanish language, and surfing!
Surf is a life style, it is a way to think and the way to flow with the universe. Your vibes and ours are connected by the surf let’s talk!