Global warming is getting worst day by day and it´s likely to be the greatest threat of our generation. This issue is already taking lives away, we´ll mention here five of how we can stop this climate change and its consequences.
Causes and Effects of Global Warming
Of course, the human being´s economic activities are the main cause of Global Warming and climate change.
The use of fossil fuels is the highest source of global warming; oil, coal, and gases produce carbon dioxide, an important element of the Green House Effect in the atmosphere.
Private and Public transportation are the biggest consumers of fossil fuels, everyday people buy more and more vehicles and the electric ones are so expensive that people still prefer to buy traditional gas vehicles.
Deforestation; trees are the most important Carbon Dioxide controllers, they absorb it from the atmosphere and turn it into oxygen.
If we cut them down, we are losing our biggest defense against Global warming and Climate change.
We also find other causes such as; excessive farming, waste disposal, mining and the people over-consuming resources.
The effects… a real issue
The biodiversity is affected since it disturbs the ecosystems, modifying the cycles of plant reproduction and changing life habits and migratory cycles of animals.
Many species are extinct due to climate change and a lot more are still in danger.
The oceans are becoming acid affecting the coral reefs and seashells. The poles are melting, it causes the level of the water rise and causes disasters.
Humans are affected as well; the lack of resources is causing a crisis in society.
There will be more than 250 000 000 refugees by 2050, because of climate change.
Political Solutions to Climate Change
Governments must control the use of fossil fuels in all areas but specially to produce electricity; in Costa Rica, an important project is being applied to power the whole country with the use of natural resources such as water, wind, volcanoes, and sun.
Looking forward to being completely renewable energy or green countries.
During the last year, Costa Rica has powered the country for 300 full days just with renewable resources.
It is still a long way to get 100 % powered by only renewable energy but it is still a big and remarkable step, that not so many countries have achieved.
What can we do as individuals?
- The solar panels are a good option at home to produce energy and save money. Solar power is pollution-free and causes no greenhouse gases to be emitted after installation. This clean power that is available every day of the year, even when it´s cloudy.
- Ride a bicycle to your job or school, use the car the less as possible. You not only help the environment but your health.
- Try to avoid using or diminish the use of air conditioners or thermostats at home, they consume almost 80% of the total energy consumption in the house. If they are really essential, try to regulate them or monitor them.
- Eat less meat, believe it or not, food accounts for a substantial portion of our emissions, your best option is to reduce your consumption of meat, especially beef. That’s because a pound of beef is responsible for some 18 times the emissions of a pound of pasta.
- Consume less, recycle and reuse to reduce your impact on the greenhouse effect. It´s difficult because society is always pushing us to consume and afford day by day to become “important”.
Does It Mean to Be Against or Out of Progress?
Reducing your heat-trapping emissions does not mean to dispense with modern suitability and comfort.
It means making smart choices to get the benefits from nature but without killing it.
Making climate-friendly choices is a way to save money as well.
At Perfect Sunset School, we want to share with you our ideas to try to stop global warming and climate change.
Come and visit us to share our points of view…